Monday, July 5, 2010

Why The Investor WoodWorker?

I'm convinced that that America has become a land of mono-mindedness. We focus on just one issue, one game or one hobby and then swiftly become bored and move on to another.

What ever happened to the "renaissance" person? A person well versed in multiple endeavors reaping the joy of creativity with an eagle eye.

Well, if you love investing and wood working, you found your new home. No mono-mindness here.

A little background just to get started: I became an active investor in 1972. I've lost money and made some. I've survived recessions and market volatility, corruption in the market place and everything Mr. market can throw at me. I did it by following rules.

My woodworking hobby started in the early 1960s. I've made some simply dreadful and some incredibly beautiful projects. I did it by following rules.

So, to start, I'm going to disclose all sorts of rules to follow when investing or woodworking. You'll see how much they have in common:

Like making a plan before doing either;

Executing the plan by "measuring twice before cutting once";

Doing your homework;

Rewarding yourself even when the outcome is less than your expectation.

Over the next several weeks, I'll be posting photos and a discussion on refacing a bathroom vanity. I'll also follow the market and provide some insight. I'm lucky enough to be retired and live in California. I get the benefit of working the market between 6:30 AM and early afternoon and then working in the shop the balance of the time.

Idiom of the day: "pay yourself first."

No comments:

Post a Comment