Friday, October 8, 2010

You Wouldn't Use a Bone Saw to....

I started this week's blog with a simple concept:  picking the right tool for the job.

Marshaling all my imagination I decided to analogize saws.  And to what extremes could I go?  That was easy: amputation in a surgical suite versus cutting framing lumber with a mitre saw.

I Googled "bone saw" and found a 1998 posting where a bone saw was being used to repair guitars!  So much for the first creative thought for the week!

But, the topic of picking the right tool for the job is still important.

For investing, you would think the job is much easier given the plethora of timely information on the internet.  But take a look at the price movements in two stocks, both significant in their respective markets:  Blackstone (BX) and Seadrill (SDRL).

I've been all over the web looking for new analysis on either. Zippo. Nothing.  The tool I need right now is one that tells me the enterprise or target values.  Both are in movements up yet I have no idea whether to buy, hold or sell.

So, much like using a framing hammer to tack carpet, I'm using Bollinger Bands to decide what to do. Need the right tool.

Disclosure:  Long both BX SDRL.

No comments:

Post a Comment