Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Right Resources

Woodworkers and investors have to cull hundreds of articles to find experts.  I recently purchased a used Jet bandsaw.  It's in excellent condition for its age and the previous owner added all the features I wanted:  mobile base, Cool Blocks and fence.  It was always my intention to replace the high tension spring.  Well, trying to sift through the sales puff and the facts led me to The Source:  Iturra Design of Jacksonville Florida.

Louis Iturra is the owner and apparently shuns the web as he has no web site!  It's like almost 2011 and he operates like it's the 1970's.  I called and left a message requesting a catalog.  It took several weeks but when it arrived, what a surprise.  It's thorough covering every aspect of bandsaw maintenance.  It's technical but not incomprehensible.  It offers high quality parts at reasonable prices.

If you own a bandsaw or are looking to buy one, contact Mr. Iturra at KALL@comcast.net.  I'll be placing my first order for the high tension spring and four other parts next week.

Now, onto the resources for investing.  You would think that this would be easy given the number of web pages devoted to stocks.  But it isn't.  There are very few reliable resources that provide independent research.  I can recommend several:  Credit Suisse (offered through TD Ameritrade); Jeff Saut at Raymond James and Matthew Bradbard at wbwealth.com.

Today the markets sold off.  Because of the advice of both Mr. Saut and Mr. Bradbard, I placed trailing stops on my largest holdings.  Both were triggered allowing me to preserve gains of over 13% and 15%.

No comments:

Post a Comment